Returning to Sports After COVID-19
--There is evidence that COVID-19 can cause cardiac damage and myocarditis. Myocarditis is known to be a cause of sudden death during exercise in young athletic populations.
--What this means:
- All POSITIVE COVID-19 patients require a 14 day resting period.
- All patients must be asymptomatic for greater than 14 days before returning to exercise and/or competition.
- We recommend follow up in the office once asymptomatic for 14 days for patients that have tested positive for COVID-19 to screen for cardiac symptoms and to determine the severity of illness.
- And EKG or cardiology referral may be provided at this appointment.
--Obtaining an EKG
- If an EKG was ordered for you, we recommend calling GBMC for scheduling at 443-287-1648
- Or call Childrens Heart Institute at 443-969-2017. They can take same day appointments as long as you have an order from your healthcare provider. They have several locations that can be found at https://www.childrensheartinstitute.org/locations/